Professional investors have long recognized that one of the keys to long-term success in the markets is diversification. This is where the strategic deployment of capital is carefully structured into a portfolio that spans a wide variety of asset classes, performance profiles and risk components. Diversification of investments helps contain risk by minimizing the negative impact that any single investment may have on overall performance. It also multiplies the potential opportunities for profit.
The Fund Advisor encompasses several unique components, centered mainly within our encyclopedic database of more than 12,000 funds (20,000 for the PLUS Edition). To help focus your investment strategy, we group these funds into six general categories (general equity, special equity, international equity, partial equity, taxable fixed income, tax-free fixed income), and 30 subgroups defined by investment objective (e.g., aggressive growth, foreign stock, corporate bonds), plus smaller peer groups when appropriate for accurate comparisons.
Our 48-page monthly hard copy report contains a comprehensive, tabular index of more than 800 key funds grouped by category, with more than 24 specific data points and performance indicators for each fund. The performance index enables you to scrutinize “at a glance” every facet of fund performance over various time spans as far back as ten years, and through bull and bear markets.
• Commentary on markets, the economy and industry sectors, as well as portfolio strategies, specially prepared by Value Line’s knowledgeable analysts and financial planners.
• A spotlight on two key funds within selected asset classes, with in-depth reports and analyst discussions.
• Updated recommendations for two model portfolios reflecting moderate risk/medium term and aggressive/medium term investor profiles.
• A focused “Short List” of updated fund recommendations for each of nine corresponding asset-allocation models, arranged by asset classes and risk levels, with room for customization.
• Screens focusing on the best- and worst-performing funds within each general fund category and risk level.
The Fund Advisor online experience features a newly redesigned user interface that connects you to a vast range of financial information and sophisticated analytical tools. Manipulate as many as 80 screening criteria to zero in on a targeted list of funds, or find specific funds by ticker or name. The main webpage is a simple but powerful platform for launching search and screening functions. From here, you can also access richly detailed reports on up to 20,000 funds, including portfolio holdings, rankings, management and performance statistics. Online-based price-related data is updated daily, while updated performance data appears in the 48-page monthly printed report. You can download and print fund reports, as well as past issues of the Fund Advisor and a series of valuable service and investing guides.
© 2013 Value Line, Inc. All rights reserved.